The first step in organizing a group event is to contact the Triangle Curling Club at email@example.com.
What is a group event:
The Triangle Curling Club provides your group with the opportunity to come out and experience the sport of curling. Instructors will be provided to organize teams, teach the basics of curling, and guide your group through a curling match.
Events can be held anytime throughout the year, on any day of the week, including during working hours (subject to ice time availability). More advance notice may be required for weekday events so that appropriate instructors can be arranged.
What we provide:
- Rental of all the equipment (rocks, brooms, sliders, etc)
- We supply a number of instructors to setup/tear down the ice, and help your group understand the basic rules and technique to play the game - the number of instructors will vary depending on how many people are attending your event
Scheduling an Event:
- Step #1 - Contact the Triangle Curling Club to discuss event logistics, costs, and possible dates - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step #2 - Book ice time with the Polar Ice House for the day of the event (cost is variable and would need to be negotiated with the Polar Ice House directly) We will help put you in touch with the Polar Ice House, but will not book ice time for you.
- Step #3 - Book a party room at the Polar Ice House for use for off-ice instruction for at least 1 hour before the ice time.
- Step #4 - Arrange for any catering or drinks with the Polar Ice House.
Typically the length of the event is up to you, but we recommend about 2-3 hours of ice time, which will allow enough time for everyone to get a 30 to 45 minute lesson, followed by a full or partial game. This works for groups of up to 32 people (since we can setup up to 4 curling sheets, with 8 people on each sheet), but if you have more than 32 people then we would need to extend the time or change the format with larger teams.
The overall length of the event would need to include the off-ice time as well, so typically you might be looking at a schedule like the following:
- Event Start Time: 1 PM
- Time for people to arrive/gather: 1:00 - 1:30 PM
- Off-ice instruction: 1:30 - 1:45 PM
- On-ice instruction: 1:45 - 2:30 PM
- Full Game: 2:30 - 4:30 PM (partial game option could end by 4:00 PM)
- Off-ice socializing: 4:30 - ???
- The Triangle Curling Club charges a flat fee, for the rental of the equipment and providing instructors of $500. That fee covers 2-3 hours of curling assistance/instruction for up to 32 participants. If you have more people, or want a longer session, then the cost would increase.
- Full payment for the event is due on the day of the event. If the event is canceled within a week of the planned date a payment of $200 will be required to be paid to the club to cover planning.
- Payment should be made via check made payable to "Triangle Curling Club".
- Ice Time Charges - You will pay the Polar Ice House directly for the ice rental. Typically ice costs range from $200 to $300 per hour depending on the season. Cancellation of ice time, if necessary, is the responsibility of the booking party. The Triangle Curling Club will not be liable for any charges incurred for ice time for a canceled event.
- Catering or bringing in your own food and drinks is something you would need to talk to the Polar Ice House about since the curling club has no control over that. The Polar Ice House may be able to supply you with catering directly.
Insurance Liability Waivers:
- Ice is slippery and hard, so we ask that all participants sign insurance waivers before going onto the ice. If a participant does not wish to sign a waiver they will not be allowed to participate in the on-ice part of the event but are welcome to watch from off the ice.
- Waivers will be provided by the curling club on the day of the event or in advance if requested.
What should you wear to the event?
- For people attending who will be going out on the ice it is important to ensure that proper clothing and shoes are worn.
- No flat soled shoes or raised heels are allowed.
- Running shoes or hiking shoes work fine as long as the soles are clean and not too worn.
- It's fairly cold on the ice, so you need to wear warm clothes and a light jacket.
- Pants that offer easy movement are important as well as you will be required to stretch and get into positions that tight pants and jeans are not necessarily appropriate for.
Who can attend - are there age restrictions?
- Curlers under 18 years of age must have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian before going on the ice. If a parent isn't coming to the event, you can request a waiver from the club, sign it, and send it with the child.
- Typically, kids need to be 10 years old to have a chance of getting a rock into play. If you wish to schedule an event that involves children please discuss the specifics with the curling club when you contact them.
For more information please contact: email@example.com